Thursday, September 30, 2010

Xtupyd Fylmu N8me5

Magnolia Films graciously sent me the trailer and art for their upcoming release, S&MAN today.

... that's supposed to be pronounced 'Sandman', according to the little translation on the box. If your film's title needs a translation, you have issues.

For those not all into punctuation with a raging hard-on, that little squiggle mark, which we pronounce 'and' or 'n' is actually an Ampersand. So, the movie's full title, by my reading, is Sampersandman.... ? I guess we're supposed to see it and read S-and-Man, but when I looked at it, it only hurt my brain... and I can only assume its supposed to be a pun on S&M, though I see no references to sex in the trailer.

Just another exercise in crap marketing. I refuse to participate, Hollywood, no matter how many Se7ens and Tr2ns and Scre4ms and LXG's you throw at me.

Anyway, I haven't seen this director's other film, The Burrowers yet, but I hear good things from the horror community. (aside from the usual low-budget and story re-tread gripes)
At this point, the mockumentary set-up has be done over and over, and you can kinda tell just from the trailer where its all going. But, the execution may be good, this one got good word of mouth at a couple early screenings. I leave it to you to decide.



No comments:

Post a Comment